Log of our third trip of 1996

The Statue of Liberty

New York, New York

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Pittsburg Pirates

Cranberry, PA

April 8-14, 1996

Mileage Start 76,222 --  Home 77,275


Attended:  Dad 21, Meg 13, Matt 11

Click any of the images for a higher resolution picture (about 1 meg each)

<from Megan>

Day 1

We woke up about 7:00-7:15 AM.  We got dressed and then went to Wal-Mart to get Matt's new Walkman.  We got back and did a little more packing.  We left about 8:00 AM.  We took I-80.  We stopped at a gas station near exit 35 to find some "HICK" who swore and yelled because we parked in a small area which is where he parked.  Then we stopped at Mc'y Ds.  After we drove till we were blue in the face, confused as heck.  We found the campground.  You could say that it was not what we expected.  I don't know what we are going to do but we definitely want to go to Ellis Island.

Day 2

click for a larger imageStatue of Liberty:  We went to the Statue of Liberty to find that tons of people are going.  The whole trip was cold and cloudy.  It took us about one and a half hours to get to the top.  We bought a lot of stuff.  Other than the cold and stupid campground and the long and crammed stairway, it was pretty good.

Still Day Two:  Today we took a trip from the nasty, disgusting, terrible New Jersey and New York to a better campground near Philadelphia.  It was a bigger and quieter park fit for our needs.  On the way down we had a terrible snowstorm.  Other than that we did pretty good.

Day 3

Click for a larger imageIf I had to pick a more exhausting day I would have to pick Wednesday.  First we started at Liberty Hall.  We got to stand right where they signed the Declaration of Independence!!!  Then we went to the pavilion that was standing over the Liberty Bell.  That was pretty interesting.  After that we went to the U.S. Mint where they make money.  We saw all the coins that were being made.  We bought a lot of things there.  After that we went to the Betsy Ross house.  It was cool but not as exciting as I thought it would be.  We also did a lot of other stuff like throw a penny on Benjamin Franklin's grave for good luck.

Day 4

This day turned out O.K. besides fighting traffic and hearing Dad swear 1,000,000,000 times.  We tried to get into a parking lot by the Franklin Institute but it was jammed full.  We drove around trying to find parking lots until we decided to go to our original favorite parking area Penn's Landing.  after that we took the bus down to the Franklin Institute.  It was a cool hands-on exhibit.  After that we waited about 15-30 minutes for the bus to pick us up to go to the zoo.  We found the zoo to be small but exciting.  After that we went home.

Day 5

We didn't do much day 5.  We decided to go to Pittsburg.  We took a quite nice trip down to find a relaxing park.  We also took a trip to a Pittsburg Pirates game where they got devoured 13-3.  I was not impressed.

Day 6

We took a trip to the Pittsburg Zoo.  It was pretty nice but the best thing were the gorilla displays.   There were six all together.  We took a trip to Grand View Avenue.  It was a grand view!  The day turned out pretty good!

It only took two hours to get home.

Return to the Trips     Return to the Motorhome Stuff     Return to the Website     Email Steve Wolf